How the understanding of the mind helps us create better health, wealth and relationships

There are several descriptions of the mind and its functions found in the dictionary. However; we know that the main function of our mind is to create thoughts and thoughts are the first stage of anything thing we create because ‘thought word and deed’ are the three stages of any creative process.



What I wish to explore is today is how the understanding of the mind helps us create better health, wealth and relationships.  If we use our mind to think then it poses the question; Who is the we that is using our mind? When I ask my clients this question, their response is varied and it depends on who the person thinks they are. However; the usual answer is “I use my mind’” or ‘it’s me’ and that is the answer that I would expect. Then I ask them who is ‘the me’ that is using the mind, the answer is normally a direct reflection of their level of consciousness. Some start off by describing their human self and once they have thought about it more, say the spirit self is who they are. The more aware a person becomes – the more conscious they are.  (You may be thinking that there is nothing surprising so far).

There are several different levels of the mind and they range from the highest level of the mind to the lowest level of the mind. I will categorise them into three parts; the higher, middle and lower levels in this model. Whenever we generate a thought we will be creating it from one of these levels. It makes sense that the higher mind creates thoughts with a higher vibration whilst the lower mind creates lower vibrating thoughts. Our human self operates in the lower levels of the mind and therefore it generates lower vibrating thoughts. There is nothing wrong with this because we need to operate on this level if we want to interact with the world around us. Our higher self uses the higher mind which generates higher vibrating thoughts.

I realised that I was using a higher level of my mind when I chose to think from my spirit self as opposed to that of when I was operating from my human level. This provoked me to explore what was actually happening. If I had the ability to use either of these levels then  I could be either my spirit self or my human/ego self. The question was;”Who is the me?” If I can choose to be either of those then I can’t be one of them – I must be something else and this something else must be higher than both of those. I am my higher self! We are our higher selves!

There is a lot of information that refers to our spirit self still evolving as it returns towards the Oneness where it started many lifetimes ago and that each trip to earth is designed to create challenges that will hopefully awaken it to its full potential. This means that our spirit must be still separate from the Oneness otherwise it could not be an individual spirit.  This would also mean that it is not fully conscious and thus it would operate out of the middle to upper levels of the mind. There is also a lot of information that states that a part of us is fully connected to the Creator. Statements such as ‘God is within’ and a more controversial one; ‘we are God’. There is also the ‘I am’ and the ‘almighty I am’. Here is where the higher mind gets to be used.

I am whatever part of the mind I am focused on in any given moment. If my consciousness is relatively unevolved then I will mostly be my human self and thus mostly operate out of the lower levels of my mind. If I am a spiritual person then I will spend more time operating out of the spirit level of my mind. In other words; ‘I am whatever I focus on’ and this is governed by how aware or conscious I are. Also; ‘whatever I focus on, I become!’

I have come to understand that I have been limited by my own thoughts which have been limited by believing that I was my spirit self. This is because my consciousness had been limited to not being able to think beyond that. However; now that I see a bigger picture I have found a new freedom which is; I am whatever I am focused on at the time. The ‘I am’ has learnt to communicate with my spirit-self and help it to awaken to higher levels .I have found a higher level of inner peace that I only had touches of when I thought from my spirit self. I have also shared this concept with some of my clients and helped them to experience the same.

We are beings with unlimited potential to expand our consciousness and whatever we focus on both reflects and creates the level of consciousness of our ‘state of mind!’






Would you like to attain financial wealth, find happiness, improve your relationships, become healthier, enjoy spiritual wealth or gain greater control of your life?
Please drop by to discover why people are signing up for the:
Six easy to follow modules for only A$7.50/month






David Lane
Please click through to my website for more information on achieving your Personal Power.

Let's get Social:
Like me on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Connect on Linkedin



This article was inspired by the research and teachings contained in my latest book.  For a deeper understanding of Personal Power and what it can help you achieve, please click through to view the e-book or paperback options. 
Now available in paperback and e-book


About David
David Lane’s journey into higher consciousness includes many understandings drawn from a diverse range of information. He believes that we are all individuals who have come to tread our own unique path. David’s book  is titled ‘Personal Power’. It is about how we evolve our consciousness and how to monitor our journey and is available online.